This project was based on a lyric from Jonathan Coulton's "Skullcrusher Mountain".
Hear the song
The project started with a Toys 'R' Us "Animal Alley" plush pony and 3 (is that too many?) Beanie Babies monkeys. I called them Bingo, Bango and Bongo. Beanie Babies called them all Bongo. (Bingo had the little necklace on when I bought her. So I let her keep it. Bango was wearing fuzzy pink bunny PJ's that I put on a two headed Gozdilla monster that lives on a shelf over my desk.) The monkeys were $.90 each. And, the pony was $3 - at a local thrift store. A woman in line with me said "Oh...You must *really* love the monkeys!" I said "You don't want to know what's going to happen to them...", and smiled a smile that probably still makes her uncomfortable.
Using an "X-Acto" knife I carefully unstitched the seam of one leg and let the monkeys "poop" out all their little plastic beans into a bag. Then I unstitched them the rest of the way. ("My legs! I can't feel my LEGS!!")
Here are the left-overs... Hmm... What to do with them? And, I have 3 little leg-less monkeys. The arms and head are stuffed with "flame retardant love fluff". The tails have a little elastic spring to them. I decided to leave the tails on.
This was probably the most disturbing part. There's just something WRONG about cutting off a pony's head. It almost *never* gives one a good feeling... But, off it came. More left-overs. One could combine this with the legs and make a Pony-Pus. Or, one could put it in the bed of a very small movie producer as a message that the NEXT time the GodFather suggests a film based on Jonathan Coulton's songs he might be more *receptive*!
BTW... There is just enough stuffing in the pony head to fill the monkey bodies - and, conversely, enough beans to fill the pony head.
Now... To put the new creature together. I pinned the monkeys together and stitched the two inside seams making one big opening. (They actually seem to be enjoying it! Kinky Monkeys!)
I tucked the "inside" arms of the two outside monkeys inside their bodies. They were just in the way otherwise. And, the middle monkey's hands were tacked to her sisters' shoulders to hold them all together and upright. Tiny, powerful magnets in the hands and shoulders would have been the clever way to do this... Then, the bodies were stuffed with fluff and stitched onto the shoulders of the pony. The monkey bodies joined together in a wide "VVV" that fit rather nicely. This stitching had to be done by hand.
And, VIOLA... I made this half-pony / half-monkey monster...! It's adorable! It's horrible! It's ad-horrible! (And, Bingo still has her little necklace!)
visit our store for t-shirts, mugs and cool junk!